Welcome!

As part of my efforts to grow as an artist, I have launched this blogsite as an online journal. I am not too bad at editing so I hope I can keep it short and simple enough to head off boredom for readers. I appreciate feedback - so if readers have questions or suggestions, please send them along!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Finish Line


After what seems like interminable perseverating (I will have to consider whether this phrase is hopelessly redundant later...) I am at last ready to declare this portrait completed.

Although I am not always plagued with this difficulty, I often do have trouble recognizing when I have finished a painting. As with this effort, I end up repainting parts over and over again... Often when I get in that spot, it feels as though I am in a thicket surrounded by shrubbery taller than me... and I can't see my way out. (A pretty obvious forest-for-the-trees analogy). I know that the right thing to do then is to step away - physically, step back... and even move away in the space of time. Simply put the painting away and not look at it for a while... I know that is the right thing to do... so why, all to often, do I not do it, at least not before the weight of frustration has all but crushed me?

I understand I am not alone in this struggle... apparently Pierre Bonnard was famous for reworking his paintings both in the studio and after delivery, including once having his friend Vuillard distract a guard in the Louvre so he could add a few brush strokes to a hanging painting of his! I promise that if I get in the Louvre, I will not try to guild the lily!

With this painting, I believe my stumbling block was the fact that I had no model, no image to work from. Oh, I had a reference photo- but one with significant challenges to overcome (e.g., flash that flattened the faces). I was painting not to try to represent something I was seeing, but to compensate for it.

So what lesson have I learned from this painting - fraught with too much struggle and no clear end in sight? I learned what every teacher I ever worked with had urged: I should have made a complete drawing (not just a couple of sketches). In this case, possibly even a full color painting to work through the problems... then I could have painted from THAT as a reference I could rely on.

You can bet I will not tackle another such challenge - working from imperfect photography - without drawing on this valuable lesson truly (and at long last) learned!

No comments: