Welcome!

As part of my efforts to grow as an artist, I have launched this blogsite as an online journal. I am not too bad at editing so I hope I can keep it short and simple enough to head off boredom for readers. I appreciate feedback - so if readers have questions or suggestions, please send them along!

Friday, July 23, 2010

In A Gallery: A New Page


Anyone following this blog will know that my husband and I have recently relocated from upstate New York to our home on Cape Cod. Although we have moved several times as part of the nomadic tradition of "corporate" work, THIS move is a turning point. For one thing, it is made independent of a job. For another, it is the home we have both planned on retiring to (although admittedly, we had imagined that happening a bit further into the future than now!)

This past week marked another turning point for me, emanating directly from this move. I was approached by a local gallery, here in our town of Chatham, MA, and have signed on with them. Having been a decidely VERY part time artist until now, my only experience with galleries had been as an appreciative visitor/spectator. I had no familiarity with the ins and outs of being an artist represented by a gallery.

The Bartholomew Gallery http://www.chathamartandjewelry.com" is right on Main Street, across from the Wayside Inn - right in the heart of town. The gallery owners, Marilyn and Sally, are lovely women who've been in the art business for twenty years, and in this location for six years. And the art in the shop - paintings, sculpture and artist-made jewelry, appealed to me. So it felt right, especially since Marilyn and Sally have been so welcoming and warm.

As you might expect, at least during the twelve-week summer season, they have a particular interest in works that highlight local scenes... So far, I have five works in the shop, including the finished gull portrait, now called Stage Harbor Sentry, which I include here. I have five more started and will post them as they are completed. Meanwhile - I eagerly and hopefully look forward to this new chapter!



No comments: