Welcome!

As part of my efforts to grow as an artist, I have launched this blogsite as an online journal. I am not too bad at editing so I hope I can keep it short and simple enough to head off boredom for readers. I appreciate feedback - so if readers have questions or suggestions, please send them along!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Rediscovered Path: The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron


I first read this book nearly 20 years ago, BEFORE I had found my way into fine art as a pursuit. I had received a copy from a person who worked for me, and I read it as a guide to self-reflection and a goal of being a better leader (I work as an HR executive, and do quite a bit of executive coaching, etc). I found it surprisingly effective and helpful as a "zen" alternative.

In the years that passed I actually took up drawing and painting and have recently "come out of the closet" on the place art has in my life, and my commitment to it. Late last year, I purchased another copy of the book, this time to apply it to my learning journey in fine art. Once again, it did not dissapoint.

While not a how to book, nor an art theory, criticism or history book, it does, in fact, prompt the motivated reader to look inward in a disciplined way, and bring up some of one's own untapped energy and undiscovered point of view: like a guided retreat might do.

Other's might find such an aid superfluous - but I am grateful for some structure and experience laying out a map - complete with suggested detours - for my journey.

I recommend this classic to anyone interested in plumbing the reaches of their creativity and willing to devote some rigor to that process.

No comments: