Welcome!

As part of my efforts to grow as an artist, I have launched this blogsite as an online journal. I am not too bad at editing so I hope I can keep it short and simple enough to head off boredom for readers. I appreciate feedback - so if readers have questions or suggestions, please send them along!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Far From The Crowd


I have enjoyed starting the full-sized painting of the herring gull I sketched last week.

I usually paint in the traditional way, using a layered oil painting technique. This is the first layer (underpainting). Although not a true grisaille, (I use raw umber straight from the tube, and I use no white), it is monochromatic and helps me define color values for the painting as I proceed. One of the most important aspects of a painting is value and contrast. Correct lighting and dark enough darks. These important aspects can be worked out in a monochromatic underpainting without the problem of wondering what color to use and how to make it the correct shade or value.

I started by drawing in a very rough sketch of the gull (just an outline, really, to get the size and placement set) in conte crayon, then setting this sketch with a fixative. Then I slathered raw umber thinned with turpenoid all over the canvas and wiped it down to a consistent light/mid tone. I like to use raw umber because it is one of the leanest oil paints, so it is suitable for a first layer (remembering the rule of painting fat over lean!) and it dries very quickly - usually overnight.

I then proceeded to develop the image by painting in the darkest darks, blending edges into the mid tone already on the canvas as appropriate, and picking out the lightest lights with a rag moistened with turpenoid. It goes pretty fast and feels very satisfying, since there is a clear and complete image produced in one session.

This composition is very simple, so after I got the gull painted in, there was very little to play with. In a more complex painting, this underpainting stage also provides the opportunity to quickly adjust composition issues that become apparent.

So - as usual for this stage of a painting, I feel pretty good. I like what I see and am looking forward to introducing color. Unfortunately, in my experience, as I move through the layers that are to come, my satisfaction does a bit of a roller coaster: I will, no doubt, have at least one session after which I will not like what I see... hopefully ending at another satisfying point. So... I will enjoy it for now and post my progress next week.

By the way, the working title of this image is Far From The Crowd... what do you think? Is it too cutesy? or just right?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the composition and feel of the painting is beautiful already. look forward to seeing where you take it. I go through these stages too :P

Unknown said...

Thanks, ujwala - the stages are fascinating, aren't they? I tend to go through a cycle: very excited at the very start (concept and initial sketch)... then continued excitement, and usually pleasure, at the next stage (underpainting)... then a few up and down stages as I put in local color, then strenghten the "drawing, then restate the darks, then add highlights - I will like it, then really hate it, then like it, then be unsure... until the final stage... when, hopefully, I like it, but not always! Always a journey...:-) J